TopoGIS: German(ic) Place Names in the American Midwest
This inteactive map application provides various background information on German and related place names in the region of the American Midwest:
- Display and hide German and related place names that still exist (current) or have vanished (historic).
- Click on a place name on the map to receive individual background information such as name origin or important dates.
- Choose between different aggregate information derived from census data and the general place name pattern.
- Switch between three different background layers.
- Current German place names
- Historic German place names
- Current German-related place names
- Historic German-related place names
Fuchs, S. (2013): German(ic) Toponyms in the American Midwest. A Study of Place, Identity, and Heritage. Erlangen: Fränkische Geographische Gesellschaft.
Fuchs, S. (2015): Germany in the Midwest. Deutsche im Amerikanischen Mittelwesten. Geographische Rundschau 67 (3), pp. 29-35.
Fuchs, S. (2015): An Integrated Approach to Germanic Place Names in the American Midwest. The Professional Geographer 67(3), pp. 330-341.